K-12 Tuition Assistance
The Learning Lamp offers scholarships to K-12 students attending private schools through Pennsylvania’s Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program. As an Opportunity Scholarship and Scholarship Organization and a Scholarship Organization we accept tax credit donations from businesses, and use those donations to fund tuition assistance for area families.
These are not full scholarships, but will help your family to afford private school. Award amounts depend on the amount of donations we receive each year. Applicants living in The Learning Lamp’s primary service area of Cambria, Somerset and Bedford counties receive first consideration. Funding must be applied for each year and is not guaranteed from year to year.
Students who live in the tri-county area are eligible to receive a partial scholarship if their household’s annual income is less than than $93,644 plus $15,608 for each dependent member of the household, as determined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. More information can be found on the state website here.
Tuition assistance awards will be made until the funds are gone. Families who receive a scholarship must complete ten hours of volunteer service to The Learning Lamp during the school year.
To apply for K-12 tuition assistance for the 2018-19 school year, download the application, or stop in our main office located at 2025 Bedford Street in Johnstown to pick up a paper copy. Applications will be accepted from June 1, 2018 through June 30, 2018 only. Applications will not be considered if submitted outside of of the June 1 – 30, 2018 collection time.
When applying for tuition assistance:
- The application MUST be completed in full and submitted with your 2017 tax return. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications are accepted June 1-30, 2018 only. Applications submitted outside of this time period will not be considered.
- Return completed applications to: The Learning Lamp, 2025 Bedford St., Johnstown, PA 15904. They may be mailed or dropped off in person.
- If awarded tuition assistance for the 2018-19 school year, you will receive a letter in the mail in early August.
- All applicants receiving tuition assistance from The Learning Lamp are required to complete 10 hours of volunteer services with our organization. If you do not fulfill this requirement, you are not eligible to apply for assistance the following year. Time is tracked and monitored.