Revamped Before/After School Programs Support Students and Families Across Cambria and Somerset CountiesPosted on October 2, 2020
Johnstown, PA (October 1, 2020) – With many area schools either back in the classroom or on a hybrid schedule and parents returning to the workforce, families are looking for homework help and child care. The Learning Lamp’s Before and After School programs, which offer peace of mind to working families, have been reformatted to offer school-aged children an enhanced structure and skills practice before and after the school day.
“We’re here to help working families and make child care easy for them and fun for the children that attend,” explained Lauren Stem, The Learning Lamp’s school-age program manager. “Our new and improved program now features a theme for each day of the week so that parents and children know exactly what to expect each day.”
Before school care allows students to prepare for their day, while after school care features homework help, a healthy snack, and a new and improved schedule full of fun, hands-on activities that include:
- Maker Monday – Design, create, experiments, build, invent, tinker and explore using a variety of tools and materials.
- STEM Tuesday – Learning is FUN when you fuse together Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Around the World Wednesday – Travel the world learning about different cultures without having to board a plane.
- Artsy Thursday – Creativity is the name of the game as students use their imaginations to explore art.
- Fit Friday – Let’s get moving! Fridays are all about getting up and active!
Before and After School care is offered Monday through Friday as early as 6 a.m. to the start of the school day and from the end of the school day to as late as 6 p.m. depending on location. Tuition is $4.80 per hour, with child care subsidy available to families who qualify. Full-day care is available during the summer, on teacher in-service days, school holidays and snow days. The Learning Lamp’s school-age programs serve the following area schools:
- Cambria Elementary
- Cambria Heights Elementary (after school program only)
- Conemaugh Township Elementary
- Divine Mercy Catholic Academy – East and West Campuses (after school program only)
- Eagle View Elementary
- Ferndale Elementary
- Forest Hills Elementary
- Jackson Elementary
- Maple Ridge Elementary
- North Star Central Elementary
- Northern Cambria Elementary
- Richland Elementary
- Westmont Hilltop Elementary
- Windber Area Elementary
Parents interested in signing up their children for Before and After School Programs should contact Lauren at 814-262-0732 extension 243. For more information on all programs offered by The Learning Lamp, visit thelearninglamp.org.
The Learning Lamp is a nonprofit organization with a mission to engage all children in the support they need to succeed. We deliver high quality programs that are affordable and accessible to families of all income levels. In 2019, The Learning Lamp served 31,329 youth/adults from 53 public school districts and 78 other schools and organizations in 19 Pennsylvania counties.
Our programs include: one-to-one tutoring; before/after school programs; portable classrooms aimed at building math and science skills; alternative education programs for at-risk students; evidence-based prevention programs; online learning and credit recovery; SAT preparation; educationally-focused child care; literacy-based preschool programs; and grant writing and project consulting for schools.